In Mathematics, a denominator is a number that is written below the bar of a fraction. It means the number that is written in the lower part of the fraction is called the denominator.
Table of Contents
- Other terms related to the fraction
- What is the other name of a denominator in Mathematics?
- What is the importance of the denominator?
- Fun Facts about Denominator
Read about fraction here.
For example, 9 is the denominator in 5/9. In simple words, we can say that it is the number in a fraction that will divide the other number.
Other terms related to the fraction
- Numerator: It is the upper part of the fraction. The number written above the bar in the fraction is called Numerator. In the above example, 5 is the numerator.
- Fractional Bar: It is the division sign written in a fraction. We can say that it is a bar written between the numerator and the denominator.
Read about Numerator and Fractional Bar here.
What is the other name of a denominator in Mathematics?
As we have mentioned, Denominator divides the other term of the fraction. It is also called Divisor due to this property. The other term (Numerator) is called the dividend in the fraction.
Read about Divisor and Dividend here.
What is the importance of the denominator?
In Mathematics, the denominator of a fraction has great importance. Let us enlist a few uses of this part of a fraction for better understanding.
- Denominators are used to find the LCM of the fractions.
- It helps in categorizing fractions depending on the nature of the denominator.
- It helps in understanding whether a number is a Rational Number or not.
You can read about LCM and Rational Number here.
Fun Facts about Denominator
- A denominator can never be a decimal.
- The denominator of a fraction can never be "0".
- The denominator will always be a whole number.
- The denominator shows the total number of parts in which a shape is divided.
Read about Decimal and Whole Number here.
What does denominator mean in Math?
Denominator means the lower part of a fraction in Mathematics.
How do you explain the numerator and denominator?
The numerator is the number that is going to be divided while the denominator is the number that will divide the numerator.
What can we do using the denominator of fractions?
With the help of denominators, we can find LCM, specify the names of the fraction, and perform various mathematical operations.
Are fractions and denominators same?
No, the denominator is a specific part of a fraction.
What does the denominator show?
The denominator shows how many parts a specific shape has. It also shows what kind of fractions is with which you are dealing.